Pregnancy loss or miscarriage is when the foetus in a woman dies before 20 weeks of pregnancy and if the foetus weighs less than 400gm.
Miscarriage happens for many different reasons. More often it occurs when the foetus is not going properly. As sad as it is miscarriage is a common occurrence. The process if miscarriage cannot be stopped once it begins. Statistics states that about 15-20% of confirmed pregnancies are miscarried.
There are different reasons miscarriage can happen to a pregnant woman, some of which are;
1. Problem with the egg or sperm when the embryo is been formed. This is also called chromosomal abnormalities which is the commonest cause of miscarriage
2. When there is a problem with a woman’s thyroid and the body tries to compensate for the lack it make the uterus unfavorable for implantation or lead to abnormal uterine bleeding
3. Lifestyle such as smoking, alcohol intake, drug abuse can cause miscarriage
5. Cervical Incompetence
6. Blood Clotting Disorders
7. Immunological Disorders
How can a man recover from his wife’s pregnancy loss?
1. When miscarriage happens to an expectant couple, it brings sadness, distress and helplessness. You may have already started to imagine yourself as a father and your spouse a mother to be. Your reactions to the loss may differ but you need to know that you are human and when there is a loss it comes with pain.
2. Deciding to brave it and act like nothing ever happens may be the quickest option to jump at but it is better to express your loss so you can heal.
3. If you have close family and friends who have been supportive and are trusted shoulders to lean on, then reach out to them.
4. You can also write down how you feel if you don’t like talking to people about it.
5. Truly a pregnancy loss affects you greatly, your wife is physically affected because she would bleed for weeks and days after the miscarriage. You need to support her by listening, talking about it and been there for her.
6. Let her grief and don’t rush the recovery process for her.
7. You don’t have to be all macho, hiding how you feel. No, you need each other at this time and being vulnerable with each other will help you get back on your feet.
8. If you feel that your emotions are leading up to depression, seek help
9. Do things that you both enjoy doing as a couple. This will help both you build positive vibes around you making your bond stronger.