When you introduce your baby to the world of our own food, it’s important that you choose healthy foods, but also tasty ones that will encourage them to eat well. Instead of giving them bland baby foods or cereals which are filled with sugar, introduce them to these solid family food starting from now.
Here are 4 healthy food ideas for 6 month olds;
1. Fruity Soya Porridge
Soyabeans is very nutritious, it contains proteins, essential amino acids and other nutrients that are very important for the growth and development of children. Buy soya beans powder and add soya to your baby’s meal with this fruit soya porridge recipe. Fruit should be added to give it taste and also provide more nutrients.
- 1/3 cup ground Porridge Oats (Quaker Oats, good morning oat)
- 180ml water + some extra (milk can be added)
- 2 tbsp Soyabean Powder
- 2 tbsp Fruit Puree (any type of fruit)
How to prepare:
- Add oats to boiled water and cook for 2 minutes or until done.
- Stir in the soyabean powder and fruit puree. Add water if too thick or according to baby’s desired consistency.
- Serve warm.
2. Carrot Liver and Sweet Potato Puree
Sweet potato is not only delicious but healthy, carrots are good for the eyes and liver is a good source of protein, amino acids or minerals. Boil or bake the sweet potatoes, mash up with lumpy chunks to encourage your 6 months old baby to chew.
- 1-2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 medium carrot
- A chunk of cow liver
- 1 tbsp ground crayfish
- 2 tsps red or vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Peel and cut potatoes into small chunks. Do the same with the carrots.
- Wash and cut the liver and put in a pot. Add the potatoes, carrots and other ingredients into the pot.
- Leave to boil for about 20 minutes till all are cooked.
- Pour into a blender and blend. Mash it for bigger babies.
3. Avocado for 6 months olds
Avocado is highly nutritious and can be introduced to your baby as a first food, and the plus is, it requires no cooking. Avocado can be introduced to babies from 4-6 months as a puree.
Creamy Avocado [4-6 months]
1/2 large or 1 small avocado; A little breastmilk or baby milk
Peel avocado and scoop out the flesh. Purée in a blender with the milk and serve.
Avocado & Banana Delight [4-6 months]
1 small avocado; 1 small banana
Peel both fruits, blend or mash with a fork and serve.Better to mash it for 6 months olds.
Delight Porridge or Pap [4-6 months]
Avocado & Banana delight; Porridge Oats or Pap. Make a thick porridge oat or pap, mix in the mashed avocado and banana fruits and serve.
Yolky Avocado [6+ months]
1 small avocado; 1 boiled egg yolk; breast milk or baby milk. Mash the avocado and egg together. Add milkto make it a little creamier.
4. Meatball ogbono soup
You can make ogbono soup for your 6 months old baby if he’s the type that loves solid food, only thing is it will be made with meat, different from ours, just a little salt to taste, no pepper and fish is a no, no because of bones. But if you do add fish, be careful when feeding your baby.