I admit twins are soooo adorable, yes, that they are. They are a awesome lot too, though. I met a woman with twins inside the bus once and I pitied her. Taiye was sucking the left breast and Kenny wanted to suck that same left breast, their mother tried cajoling Kenny to take the right breast while Taiwo is sucking the left but he wouldn’t compromise. He started crying and screaming while using his leg to push Taiye off the said breast. I wanted to laugh at the sight, like seriously! Must they suck from the same breast?
The truth is breastfeeding is work, although a rewarding one, breastfeeding twins requires even more work and dedication. And once your babies start breastfeeding, you might be afraid you’d become exhausted and you might have low milk supply. Preparing ahead for nursing and get support from your baby’s doctor, family and friends once your babies are born can help you successfully breastfeed.
Does breastfeeding take more time than bottle feeding?
Feeding your baby at the same time will make the feeding time fast, but if you are planning on bottle feeding them, it takes the same amount of time to simultaneously bottle-feed your babies as breastfeeding. Meanwhile, you will still have to wash and sterilize bottles, prepare and warm formula if you choose to bottlefeed. In other words, breastfeeding saves more time than bottle feeding.
How can nurse two babies at the same time?
- To feed your babies at the same time, use a nursing pillow or roll up towels to support your babies, you can also buy nursing pillows designed specifically for nursing twins.
- Using a pillow, you can change your nursing positions, it’s helpful to change breasts for them from time to time, say if Taiwo feeds on the left breast today, let Kehinde feed on it tomorrow. Switching back and forth regularly helps produce equal amounts of milk in both breasts and reduces the chance of blocked milk ducts. Besides, switching breasts will also help your babies’ eyes get exercise and stimulation.
- In a situation whereby one has to stay in the hospital, while breastfeeding on one side, pump on the other to keep up your breast milk supply.
Can I produce enough milk to nourish more the twoof them?
If you breastfeed your babies often, your body will definitely produce (supply) according to how much your babies suck. Low milk supply can be corrected by nursing often, and if your babies are drinking enough to empty your breast, you’ll need to pump.
How do I know if my babies are getting enough to eat?
Check how much weight your babies are gaining to know if they are getting enough breast milk. Newborns normally lose between 5 and 9% of their birth weight before regaining it by the time they’re 2 weeks old. By the 5th day after they are born, they should start gaining at least an ounce a day. If you are concerned, get your baby’s weight checked.
Here are other signs that your babies are getting enough breastmilk;
- Your babies eat at least every two to three hours or at least eight times a day
- They have at least three stools each day and the stools lighten to a yellowy-mustard color by the fifth day after birth.
- They’re gaining an ounce a day by the fifth day after birth until at least 3 months of age.
- They wet seven or eight cloth diapers a day, or five to six disposables. Stools and weight gain are the best ways to tell how your babies are doing.
- Your breasts feel softer after nursing.
And if you find you bond with one baby more than the other, there’s probably a reason for this, find time to give each of them love and attention, they both deserve it. Read How To Get Pregnant With Twins
Photo via Pinterest