How To Lose Weight After Child-Birth With Diet And Exercise
Now that you have successfully delivered your baby, apart from the task of feeding and taking care of your baby, I bet the next thing on your mind is how to lose the extra weight you have gained. This goal might seem very impossible and daunting when you look at yourself in the mirror but the truth is it is not impossible.
According to Babycenter, you have to give yourself six weeks after delivery before you start watching diet and actively trying to slim down. If you're breastfeeding, experts recommend that you wait until your baby is at least 2 months old before you start trying to lose weight.
If you delivered via cesarean section it is advised that you speak to your doctor first before you actively start trying to do exercise or dieting to lose weight. However, the KidsHealth website states that walking after a C-section speeds recovery and prevents blood clots.
In any situation, the first step to losing weight is having an healthy diet and then exercising. According to Baby center, the first step towards eating healthily, is including a lot of fruit and vegetables in your meals. Drink water throughout the day to stay well hydrated. These tips will help you to achieve and maintain a healthy weight:
- Make time for an healthy breakfast in the morning- I am sure that we have heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and this is because breakfast is the fuel you need for the day. This ensures that you have the energy you would need to be active throughout the day and as a new mother you know you need a lot of energy. It is important that you don’t skip breakfast
- Eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.
- Include plenty of fibre-rich foods such as oats, beans, wheat, yam and maize in your meals.
- Include starchy foods such as wheat bread, brown rice in every meal.
- Cut down your intake of fatty and sugary foods such as, sweets, cakes, biscuits, pastries and soft drinks.
- For protein, eat lean meats, eggs, fish and nuts, and choose low-fat dairy products
- Every new mom should be able to indulge in dessert now and then, but do so sparingly. Snacking is important, but avoid salty snacks, such as potato chips, and choose fruits and vegetables instead.
Once you have drawn out a healthy meal plan for yourself the next step is to begin exercising, as reported by LiveStrong, performing abdominal exercises, like sit-ups, can be dangerous if done too early. When you are pregnant, you are likely to have developed a gap in your abdominal muscles. Exercising before the gap closes increases your risk of injury to the abdominal muscles. In the meantime, you can do light walking,upper-body and leg stretches.
It is however important that you realize that you gained this weight in a 9 months period and so you are not going to lose the weight immediately. Don't put too much stress on your body, the truth is that your body will probably not return back to how it was before you gave birth.
There are a lot of unrealistic post delivery bodies especially in this social media world, don't feel too pressured take pride in your body and the changes that have occurred you can't lose all the weight immediately. With the right amount of diet and exercise you will begin to get back into shape.
Make sure you consult your doctor first before you start actively trying to lose weight, your doctor will be in the best position to tell you the right time to begin. If possible work with a Nutritionist and Fitness trainer on the best method to use to lose weight.