Your baby this week
- By week 10 of your pregnancy all of your baby’s vital organs have formed and your baby is now about 3 cm (1.2 inches) long. Last week your baby only weighed about 2 grams, now seven days later, your baby has again doubled in size and weighs about 4 grams.
- This week, it will become apparent if your baby is a boy or a girl. In a male foetus, the testes appear and start producing the hormone testosterone. In a female foetus, the clitoris will appear and the ovaries will descend.
- Your baby is now swallowing and kicking (can you believe it!), and all the major organs are fully developed and starting to function.
- Your baby’s fingers are now completely separated and tiny fingernails are starting to appear. The bones of the skeleton are now forming and your baby’s brain is now starting to grow more quickly.
Your body this week
In the 10th week of your pregnancy, the amount of blood in your body will begin to increase significantly. By the time you deliver your baby, your blood level will be about 40 to 50 percent higher than pre-pregnancy levels.
As your baby grows, your womb is expanding to accommodate him or her. Your uterus is now about the size of a grapefruit and you may also notice changes in your complexion, weight and even your gums.
Some of the symptoms you may also observe this week include;
- Aches and pains in your abdomen, due to the baby putting a pressure on your organs, veins, muscles and ligaments.
- Nausea and heighten emotions
- Weird dreams
- Increase in vaginal discharge
- Bigger stomach and busom